Before trying to burn a CD-R with a HDCD digital signal I tried
something much simpler:

I transcoded a FLAC sourced from a HDCD encoded CD back to WAV and then
played it back using the latest Windows Media Player.

It didn't turn on the HDCD light!

I then popped in the original CD into my computer's drive and played it
through WMP. Voila! The HDCD light was there.

mmmmm am I missing something here?

I have Accurate rip installed and the rip passed with flying colors, so
the resulting WAV/FLACs should be accurate to the original disc.

So, in theory, the wave file should trigger HDCD decoding on Windows
Media Player.

Strange...

--
crooner

SB3 with Custom Linear Power Supply
Lite Audio DAC-60 Tube DAC
VPI Scout with Benz Micro Glider M2
Audio Research PH3, SP16L and VS110
Vandersteen 2Ce signatures, 2W subwoofer.