Eric,
I have also done some testing on this. I've used a 1992 HDCD sampler
from Reference Recordings (RR-S3 CD) and I believe I can see the dynamic
expansion on the exports via the Cronotron plugin. I want to check this
by recording the same track from the analog output of a HDCD equipped CD
player. The problem is I will have to borrow a player to do this so it
will take some days before I can get it done.