Skunk;184362 Wrote:
> That sounds more like a preconceived notion than engineering mind to me
> :-) I do agree that arguing over consumer digital formats is like
> chasing one's tail, when other formats are probably superior to both
> (as garyB pointed out).
>
> Remember Gestalt (the sum is greater than its parts)?
>
> It does no good to argue over DAC chips without considering the
> circuit, so the ideal cable probably varies amongst equipment.
>
> Consider that 'A remote converter which sounds different [due to
> changing transports], is simply not well engineered and should be
> rejected. Similarly, if the effect of changing the type of cable
> feeding the converter can be heard, the unit is deficient.
> Unfortunately many consumer external DACs fall into this category...'
> (Watkinson 108)
>
> That was Pfarell's experience at least. IMO this proves both sides are
> right. The cable may matter, but shouldn't. Similarly, should it be
> proven toslink has more jitter, it still doesn't prove coax should be
> used by default.
>
> The best advice is 'try it and see', but neither camp is ever satisfied
> with that answer.
>
> -------
> Watkinson, John. An Introduction To Digital Audio 2nd ed. Oxford: Focal
> Press, 2002.

Finally, someone got close to the position that takes all the  parties
in mind. Very well said! And especially true with regards to power
cords :)

*Eric*, you've got my question right this time. But please, don't slip
into "the numbers are so tiny - it can't matter anyways " again. :)
BTW, I don't remember I ever posted anything on Wiki pages. I normally
don't consider myself knowledgeable enough...

--
325xi

simaudio nova cdp >> simaudio moon i-5 >> revel performa m20 via
acoustic zen matrix reference ii and acoustic zen satori

-planned additions:... >> deq2496 >> lavry da-10 >>...-