Robin Bowes;184562 Wrote:
> pablolie wrote:
>
> > It's *data*. Data integrity is the key. It does not matter of the
> > signal gets somewhat distorted. That's actually one of the key
> > advantages of digital interfaces: you don't have to worry as much
> over
> > signal integrity. It's no misconception at all. An ugly bit is still
> > bit.
>
> I'm afraid you're wrong.
>
> I suggest you read up on how SPDIF works and the potential weaknesses
> inherent in its design.
>
> R.

SPDIF is BMC encoded, and *digital*. Please tell us what's wrong about
that.

Consequently, the quality of the phyiscal signal has to be quite
compromised for a bit error to occur, and until a bit error occurs the
signal issues are immaterial. Truly. You seem to disagree about the
probability of that happening, but to argue ver the fact that the data
is encoded digitally is lunacy.

Of course there will always be analog effects at the signal
transmission level, and those have been discussed in this forum when
the merits of RCA and Toslink were compared. That's where the signal
quality discussion kicks in.

Other than that I truly have no idea what analog effect you should be
talking about: we ought to simply be worried whether your 20 bit (or
24) audio data stream emerges identical on the remote end as it is
presented to the DAC subystem. The fear seemed to be the data goes into
the DAC subsystem with additional jitter if the Toslink connector is
used. You seem to be introducing a data integrity element that as far
as I have seen no one has brought up, since the interface is quite
resilient at that level, irrespective of the interface type used for
transmission.

--
pablolie