ps. I can tell the difference between a poor digital transport connected
via an optical lead, and a good one connected by coax. Last year I
replaced my high quality (but early and buggy) DVD player with a cheap
recorder. I was convinced that they'd sound identical played through
the same external DAC.

It took me about a week to work out that I just wasn't enjoying the
music any more. The soundstage was flat and it was hard to pick out
individual instruments.

One used, high-end universal player from Ebay later, normal service is
resumed.

The Squeezebox sounds pretty good too :)

--
AndyC_772