Skunk;185681 Wrote:
> Thinking about this some more, the Sb allows 'use digital volume
> control', or 'don't use...', which would mean it's going through DSP
> first.

Yes but I was referring to a receiver that has a hard-coded DSP.
Slim's use of its DSP and a receiver's use of its DSP are very
different.

I was thinking of the effects a receiver's DSP adds.  These aren't
something anyone would want on any analog or digital output.  They
aren't applied on my receiver or on any other that I've heard of, and
it's not a selling feature but a serious defect that would make the
analog or digital outputs essentially useless.

Also there's some evidence to show that what comes in does not go
through the DSP except if it's played back through the speakers:

- analogue inputs cannot be sent through digital outputs and vice-versa
(except in high-end pre/pros that digitize all incoming sources like
Lexicon and some Anthem equipment.)

- the "external input" 5.1/7.1 connections are specifically designed so
they cannot be recorded in order to satisfy SACD and DVD-A player
requirements.  They merely connect to the preamp section, always
analog.  When playing back external input sources, you have no control
over the sound, sometimes not even volume.

--
Mark Lanctot

"It's like, you know, a New Age religion, but with better treble
response." - Jon Heal