mmg_fan;186140 Wrote:
> Anyone use any of the new solid state recorders like the Edirol R-09?
> http://www.edirol.net/products/en/R-09/
>
> There's also a 1-bit recorder out soon by Korg...
> http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=MR1&category_id=3
>
> What's the quality like of the audio?

The audio quality will mostly depend on your microphone.

These solid-state recorders are great, but IMO still too expensive.  It
is merely taking a microphone feed, digitizing it, and storing it on a
memory card - and the mic and memory card are supplied by the user!

I've had a minidisc recorder for many years and I've made some
excellent field recordings with a $200 stereo mic.

I've also got a decent Olympus voice recorder, but it is unacceptable
for music or even high-quality voice.

There needs to be something in the $150-$200 range that will record
CD-quality or better, with inputs for a good mic.

--
Pale Blue Ego