325xi;186710 Wrote:
> Oops, here we go again! So, Andy, what's your conclusion here - Toslink
> is more prone to jitter related problems then coax?

Forgive me for side-stepping the question, but I think it would be
pointless to guess without making some quantitative measurements on the
electrical output from a typical Toslink receiver module.

That said, I have made a couple of observations which may be relevant:

- if you look at the end of a Toslink cable, the light coming out of it
is fairly omnidirectional; there is no particular angle at which it
suddenly looks much brighter than others. Therefore, it's unlikely that
a misalignment of a degree or so would make much difference.

- an opto-isolator designed to pass data at a couple of Mbits typically
has rather slow rising edges on its output, because of the passive
pull-up used to bring the output to a logic '1' in the absence of light
from the LED. This would inherently tend to increase jitter - and a
Toslink connection is basically just an opto-isolator with a
particularly wide separation between the two halves.

I will be looking into this properly in the not-too-distant future, so
I'll post my findings if anyone's really bothered.

--
AndyC_772