jeffmeh;186751 Wrote:
> Whichever is subject to more jitter, unless you have an extremely
> revealing system, very good speakers, a room with good acoustics, and
> some very keen ears, it is likely to be negligible.
>
> If you possess all of the above, I'm envious, lol.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I thought about a year ago, when I
confidently ditched my (early, and rather expensive) DVD player in
favour of a cheap DVD recorder. I figured that all digitally connected
sources should sound the same, and therefore, that I could play CDs
using the DAC in my A/V receiver and they'd sound just as good as
before. My old DVD player used a coax connection, the new one used
Toslink.

It took me about a week to realise that something was wrong. Music was
boring, the soundstage rather flat and instruments hard to pick out
individually - I just wasn't enjoying it any more. Sadly by this point
my old DVD player had vanished at the hands of Ebay.

So, I bought another one - a newer model well reviewed for its audio
quality - and plugged it in with a coax connection. It sounds great,
normal service is resumed.

This isn't a controlled experiment, of course, but it does prove (to
me, at least) that all digital sources are not equal. The same DAC and
amp combination really can sound different when fed with a different
source. Ironically it's the cheap recorder that's most tolerant of
discs in poor condition, so I don't believe for a minute that bit
errors are creeping in to cloud the issue.

--
AndyC_772