joatca;186999 Wrote:
> Note that the "difference" I posted is a naive one in the sense that
> it's just one sample subtracted from another. If one is slightly more
> rather than slightly less, you'll get a negative waveform in the
> result, so the differences you hear here are probably far more
> pronounced than actually exist. This is an indication only of where the
> differences are, rather than what they sound like.

I'm also surprised no one's done this before.  Still, I can't see why
this isn't accurate.  You are comparing two waveforms, and by
subtracting one from the other, you get the difference between the
two.

It also agrees with what a lot of people have said previously - that
MP3 affects mostly high frequency data.  You're left with a
high-pitched, staticy sound.  It appears that short, high-frequency
transients are dropped (the "static") as well as some continuous HF
content.

What would be interesting is to see how this changes with reduced
bitrate.  128 kbps or lower.  Most people will say there are
differences at these bitrates.  I would think that the differences
would be similar to what you have here, but more well-defined, less
bursty and staticy, as more and more HF content is dropped.

--
Mark Lanctot