A little more info:

The two pairs of speakers are at opposite ends of the (long, narrow)
kitchen.  One pair is over the breakfast bar, and the other is near the
dining room.

One thing I'd like to do is to be able to balance one pair of speakers
vs. the other.  I was thinking about getting a 5.1 amp and wiring the
speakers as front & rear sides.

I'd planned on putting the amp(s) in the high cabinet over the fridge,
so they wouldn't be taking up "hot" (i.e. more accessible) storage
space.  Have run 3 sets of speaker wires to that spot, one set for each
pair of speakers and one to run from the SqueezeBox to the amp. (All
using 18-gauge wire, because that's what the electrician put in.)

-- Timothy

--
TimothyB