regalma1;187649 Wrote:
> You measure the total power level going in and the total going out. If
> the latter is greater than the former there is gain. You have an amp.
> The fact that the Panasonic also has a DAC doesn't really change that.
> If that was the case then a standard amplifier with a digital input
> (feeding a DAC) would not be an amp.

It doesn't "also have a DAC", it -is- a DAC.  That is the point.  The
digital PCM input is converted to a PWM stream in the digital realm,
and then the pulses are smoothed out directly for the speaker output.
This is definitely an over-simplification, as I originally pointed out,
and in fact that was the truly interesting area for discussion.

To reiterate: this unit is not a DAC and amplifier integrated into one
box.  On the contrary, to provide analog inputs, it runs them through
an ADC to generate _PCM_ input.  In that case it, in composite, forms
what is effectively a variant of a class D amp, but with digital
conversion into the PWM stream.

I can't imagine you're suggesting that, you can compare a digital input
power and the output analog, with a higher powered output than input
represents gain- that the gain of the Panasonic can be measured in
terms of the power of the S/PDIF input vs the speaker output?

The issue is that there is nowhere in this amp where you could find an
analog signal to compare with the output, to measure gain.  That's one
indication that this isn't an amp.

As I said before, there will be a place where a binary digital signal
is turned into another, higher power binary digital signal, but that's
never really been considered amplification in the past has it? - that's
switching.

So, to call these amplifiers, needs a new and very loose interpretation
of what an amplifier is, no matter what people's gut feelings may tell
them about what it looks like, or the what position it sits in in their
hifi cabinet.

--
jimmyfergus