As technology changes definitions sometimes don't keep up. If it has
gain then it is an amplifier in the general sense. Gain is how much
power (watts) going in divided into how much is going out. At least
that is gain in watts. You can have gain in volts, etc. This is not
simply a convertor changing digital to pulse modulated to analog. There
is a lot of gain. Otherwise what is the point of the device.

Like I said, it is a matter of definition. No point in us fighting over
it. Since everyone appears to be calling it an amp that is what is
likely to become the convention, no matter what either of us think.

The real question is, does it sound good. The reviews I have seen have
varied. That makes sense as it is likely any class D unit is going to
be very load sensitive, what with the smoothing capacitors and the high
frequency filters on the output. I read a very extensive review of
several high end class D amps in Stereophile. It was pretty apparent
that how they are going to perform is dependent on the reactive element
of the cables and speakers they are connected to. Opinions of the
various reviewers in the article ranged all over the place.

--
regalma1