GaryB;187975 Wrote:
> For another and perhaps better informed opinion, take a look at the
> following FAQ written by Jim Hagerman of Hagtech.  He's a very good
> engineer and makes quality audio products and kits at reasonable
> prices.  The FAQ is here:

Have you actually read the FAQ? He quite openly admits to having
absolutely no clue what 'break-in' might actually be doing to the
cable, or what the effect (if any) is on its measurable parameters.
Instead he writes a load of fluff like "It is needed to "format" and
clean up or "wash" the materials in the cable".

This is not something that would be written by an expert. It's
meaningless.

Even if there were some change going on in the cable, who is to say
it's always advantageous? I'm honestly quite surprised that nobody has
yet suggested that a cable has a finite life after which it should be
replaced. The components in your hi-fi - capacitors, especially -
certainly do have a finite lifetime, during which they're steadily
degrading.

Sure, unplug a cable, stick it on some useless gadget for a few hours
and put it back. You'll have cleaned some oxide or other crud from the
contacts and given your ears a rest, so I'm not surprised it sounds
slightly better.

--
AndyC_772