I have a pair of Etymotic ER-4Ps, which sound great with my iPod.  The
only downside (besides price) is that they aren't the most comfortable
phones out there.  They're essentially good earplugs with built in
speakers, and so sit pretty tighly in the ear canal.  It's hard to say
how much this will bother you personally until you try them for a
while. I'd reccomend getting a cheaper set of this style headphone, and
see if you're happy with them.

I do still use mine on long flights, but I'll still sometimes use the
Bose noise cancelling headphones some airlines pass out on
international flights, just because they're more comfortable.

--
bobschneider