Hello all,

I own a set of 63's, which the 988's are simply a "newer" version,
read: now made in China :( version of the 63's. The 989 have two extra
panels (6 instead of 4) which deliver more bass.

I believe these electrostatics are usually considered fast due to the
light weight of the material that is being driven, there are no wires,
coils or magnets attached to the mylar, nothing other than a thin layer
of graphite type coating to help reduce charge migration, thats it.
Conventional speakers consist of all kinds of materials, from poly
plastic, carbon fibre, titanium and now kevlar. All this is MUCH
heavier than a sheet of unhindered 2u mylar. (The Quad mylar makes
plastic food wrap look like a persion carpet in thickness for
comparison)

This all equates to no / low speaker intertia, therefore in theory,
faster, more accurate response.

FYI: I repair ESL's.

These speakers are very flat on the EQ, and are very natural and hair
raisingly revealing. However, for the rock music fan who loves bass,
they simply cannot deliver the SPL. They are also not overly efficient
(~86 dB IIRC).

Also, amplifiers that don't like strange impedence loads, i.e. drug
store brand amps, need not apply, the amp will likely get smoked. (the
impedence drops to below 2 ohms at ~ 18K Hz mark and the protection
mechanism in the speaker does its job by shorting the speaker inputs,
delivering a 0 ohm load to the amp)

Simply put, to get more bass out of the 63 / 988, your options are:

1 - Upgrade to 989's (or the newer 6 panel ones w/ the pretty brace on
back, cannot remember model off top of head, sorry)

2 - Gradient. If you are looking for a sub, this is it, period. If you
find one, make sure you get the gradient crossover also.

Now for other considerations which I've tried with no / limited / odd
success:

1 - the 63's / 988's are not very rigid, and flex a little with high
SPL / bass. You can either use pony up for some Arcici stands or put a
stack of magazines on the speaker tops to increase mass, or make your
own stands.

2 - Speaker placement. Gradients are dipoles because the Quads are
dipoles. Try placing them somewhere in the room / in respect to the
wall to attempt bass reinforcement. Play your favourite music and move
about the room also helps find the best spot.

3 - With strange success, you can try a crossover like the Bryston 10B
and combine w/ a mirage bi-polar speaker, like an OM-200 or 400. With
the phase adjustment on my 200, I was able to better match the "speed"
of the Quads and make it a little more natural, but I don't have a 10B
at the moment and therefore I have overlap of the lower freq, not quite
right, OM-200 back to HT room.

Thats my 0.02$ worth.

Cheers!

--