I own the Aqvox USB 2 D/A MKI (with USB as digital Input). On my laptop,
I have XP prof and use the winamp with the ASIO4all output driver,
bypassing the kmixer. Aqvox describes at his home page how to get and
to install this driver. There is also a shielded, high quality 3.5m USB
cable for sale.
I have a squeezebox 3 with a high quality power supply and a SPDIF to
AES/EBU-dejitter/converter. It is connected with the AES/EBU Input of
the same Aqvox D/A-converter. So I'm able to switch between PC/Asio/USB
and Squeezebox3 without changing the connections. The volume control is
done by the preamplifier.

The PC/Asio/USB sound is quite astonishing, but I prefer the Squeezebox
sound. It is deeper and clearer/cleaner, and its less (or not)
fatiguing. The second point is the squeezebox remote control which
contains all I need and it is ready by a key stroke (I use the remote
switching plugin for the A/D-Conv. and the power amplifier).
As a conclusion: The USB way is really an alternative, but I would
compare it seriously to the squeezebox way.

Georgie

--
Georgie

Slimserver 6.5.1 / SSODS 2.12 / DS106X / SB3