For information, the file conversion settings in Slimserver were set to
ALAC-WAV.  Not FLAC. I mentioned MP3 only because someone on this forum
once said that I should check that down-converting to MP3 was not taking
place.  So, I compared ALAC with WAV, and preferred plain WAV by rather
more than a country mile.

What my personal experience tells me is that it's all very well
claiming bit-perfect decoding of lossless files, but in truth something
musical gets lost in the process, when compared with an uncompressed
format that the SB can just get on with.  I should stress that this is
my personal experience - I know what my ears tell me, and I'm happy
with the message.

--
Shuggie