gbruzzo;194376 Wrote:
> (I confess that I dream about a Slimdevices product that looks like a
> Transporter, maybe without the clever knob, and acts as a network
> storage computer - something akin to an htpc with Transporter looks and
> fluorescent tube display for harddrive temperature monitoring, fan speed
> regulation etc - see the Silverstone front panel above).
>
> You mention, that there are cheaper and equally satisfactory amp/preamp
> combinations in the UK: what do you suggest, bearing in mind they ought
> to be paired with the Transporter? I had a look at NAD, Naim and Arcam,
> but given my lack of experience in the high end sector, I would love to
> receive some comments on the matter.

Two points then:

1 - why not stick with a hidden PC (or a silent one)?  This is the
cheap option, and allows for all the upgrades as technology advances
(like streaming video etc).  One of the neat elements of the Slim
solution is that you don't have mounds of boxes in the living room.

2 - it's hard to give such generic system advice when it's so personal.
I normally advise to go to a hi-fi show, and listen to very different
systems from the different 'camps' (see my other thread here!).  Once
you find a 'super' system that you love, you can go about finding an
affordable one of a similar ilk!  There are high-end shows in London
every six months, but you just missed one.

Adam

--
adamslim

SB3 into Derek Shek d2, Shanling CDT-100, Rotel RT-990BX, Esoteric Audio
Research 859, Living Voice Auditorium IIs, Nordost and Anti-cables
http://www.last.fm/user/AdamSlim/