chill;194614 Wrote:

> Ok, that explains a lot.  I can see how effects on the bit stream can
> affect the sound.  But back to the connector issue then - for the sake
> of my ignorance, how does the impedance affect the rate/shape/whatever
> of the bits?

Not much, I suspect.  The received wisdom among audiophiles is that
impedance mismatches in interconnect cables can lead to reflections,
which in turn contribute to jitter.  However most people discussing
this seem to have transmission lines in mind (where this is in fact a
real concern).  S/PDIF along a 1 meter interconnect is very, very far
from that regime.  To a good approximation the voltage is the same
everywhere along the cable, and there are no standing waves or
reflections.  Still, even very small amounts of jitter can sometimes be
audible, so I suppose it's possible there is sometimes an audible effect
in extreme cases, like very long cable runs.

And yes Skunk, a properly designed DAC should be effectively immune to
the levels of jitter we're talking about here in any case.

> Ok, the S/PDIF standard apparently doesn't work that way, but isn't it
> feasible for a DAC to put the received bits in the right place, based
> on its own (better) oscillator, and thereby protect against a certain
> amount of jitter? Or is that a different standard?

Yes.  Think about how the SB functions.

--
opaqueice