Olav Sunde;195086 Wrote:
> I hear a very clear difference between vinyl transfered to 16 bit and 24
> bit and I believe this is so because vinyl has information that a
> straight transfer to 16 bit can not handle.
If you're confident of this, here's interesting experiment you might
like to try to verify that you're not imagining it...

Make a 24 bit recording from vinyl, at a decent recording level (eg.
peaking no lower than about -3dB). Take a copy, and convert it to 16
bit. (You can even just truncate the bottom eight bits without dither
if you like: vinyl is so noisy that it makes no difference). Now use
something like Foobar2000's ABX tool to see if you can tell them apart.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?