powaq;196369 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I received my SB3 a couple of month ago and I tested its analog output.
>
> I did the test with an "old" Home-Cinema Receiver (Yamaha RXV592 with
> analog inputs only) and a standard CD player (Yamaha CDC565).
> Speakers : Davis Acoustics DK200
>
> All analog, FLAC/SB3 vs CDplayer, simultaneous play/switch.
> The CD player was definitely better ! sorry I don't speak english good
> enough to be more precise. But the difference was obvious.
>
> Since then, I received my new Amplifier (Yamaha RXV-4600) whith digital
> inputs. I made another test : FLAC/SB3(digital out) vs DVDplayer
> (digital out).
> I did not notice any difference.
>
> I really think it's a pity because stereo amplifiers (not home cinema)
> don't have digital inputs.

That's why a lot of us use external DACs with our SB3s.  I don't hear
any difference between my SB3 feeding my DAC, and my Mac MCD201 feeding
my DAC.  The SB3 and DAC don't sound as good as my MCD201's analog
outputs, but then the CD player cost 3x what the SB3 + DAC did.  And
the sonic difference isn't anything as large as the price difference!

--
bobschneider