Patrick Dixon;198065 Wrote:

> BTW, IIRC it was ASRC rather than overclocking.

And to summarize the ASRC issue:

"The point is, there is simply no need to corrupt the Audio data with
an ASRC just to attenuate Jitter, when all that is need is to
regenerate a clean clock. This design has the basic ingredients to do
this but still uses the ASRC. This is what I'm struggling with,
especially when the designer comments on the degradation introduced by
ASRC then proclaims the design to have a "bit transparent" mode."
-JohnW, DIYHiFi.org,
http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=23881#23881

In light of this, the change in the manual speaks volumes:
______Rev. 3.1______
The LavryBlack DA10 features:
- Ultra low jitter modes (without sample rate conversion).

______Rev. 3.2______
The LavryBlack DA10 features:
- Ultra low jitter modes.

Perhaps the earlier models did have/utilize such modes, but if ASRC is
used in all modes now, aren't we paying for components that aren't
necessary? I wouldn't want a glowing tube in my preamp if the signal
didn't even go through it!

My favorite part of the thread is when Jim Hagerman, when talking about
the ideal method of jitter rejection, names our beloved slimserver :-)
"Personally, I think the ultimate would be closer to a slimserver
approach. That is, suck the entire song or album into memory. Then play
it back at your leisure with a dedicated clock. No pll, no tracking. You
get fast forward, rewind, etc.."

Anyway, thanks for the link.

--
Skunk