What I was getting at, is that your DAC, or your processor, or whatever
else is connected over SPDIF, simply won't know whether it's getting 16
bit or 24 bit data. The SPDIF frame includes 24 bit positions for use
with audio data, and a source that only has 16 bits available simply
pads the missing bits with zeros.

So, there cannot be any difference in how your processor handles the
data. That's why you can't hear any difference.

SPDIF (at least, the 2 channel uncompressed version we're using) isn't
encrypted, BTW - just encoded to ensure plenty of edges for clock
recovery. The AES/EBU spec is freely available and explains exactly how
to decode it - you could do it with a storage scope and a pencil & paper
if you wanted.

--
AndyC_772