opaqueice wrote:

> It would be interesting to study the economics of music performance and
> composition in the era before copyright, or before recorded music.
> Mozart had no trouble making a living.

Actually, Mozart struggled to make a living and died poor - he was
buried in a pauper's grave.

>  Why didn't everyone else just
> copy him?  Why wasn't he destroyed by having every good idea
> immediately stolen?  I don't know the answer, but I suspect it's
> similar to modern academia - everyone in the community knew Mozart, his
> style, his famous works, and if people copied them it simply made him
> more famous, more in demand to compose a new piece, or as a performer,
> or to be the composer-in-residence, or as a teacher, etc.

I suspect it was simply that it was harder to copy in those days - no
media to record on, only live performances; no way to copy the scores
easily, either copy out long-hand or expensive printing process.

Today, we can rip a CD in minutes or copy the music files. We can also
easily reproduce scores/music.

> What's wrong with that as a model for music today?

Er, it's about 250 years out of date!

R.