willyhoops;200923 Wrote:
> There is a famous and obvious solution to this... Microsoft pays a % of
> the sale price on every Zune to the record companies to compensate for
> piracy. Apple was asked to do the same but refused.
Hmmm, indirectly you will pay for that taxation. and what if I would
use my Zune only to listen to music I made myself? In short: it's not
the solution. IMHO Apple did the right thing.
The same Dutch foundation that I mentioned earlier wanted to do the
same, but not only for Zune/iPod like gadgets. They wanted to  tax
every datacarrier you can imagine. Luckily the Dutch government
sanctioned this, partly because the foundation still can't tell how
they spend/distribute the money they received.

willyhoops;200923 Wrote:
> If the goal is to pay artists for their work (unlike the many here who
> claim music should be free of copyright) then building a decent DRM is
> obviously the way forward. In this 21st centuary such a thing is very
> possible despite all the knuckle headed denials.
If the goal is to pay artists for their work then artists should get a
fairer slice of the pie. Not the promille they're now getting as a
fee...
>From every 10 euros an album costs you maybe some 20 cents (if they're
lucky) goes to the artist (minus the costs the record company made in
recording the album etc.).
If you search a bit you can find enough of these horrorstories how
recordcompanies really treat their artists...
read http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html par
example... If you're thinking the same about DRM after that, then I'm
sure that you're working for the RIAA or alike...

--
servies