> the most effective compromise is to rip all your music to iTunes using
> the Apple lossless format: it sounds significantly better than any
> lossy compressions, yet is not as slow and hard-drive devouring as the
> uncompressed file.

Hey he is comparng lossless to lossly here. He is NOT saying apple
lossless is better than flac. It's not such a sin to say this... After
all apple ipod is the most popular player and the squeezebox plays
apple lossless but the ipod does not play flac. So from one of point of
view he is correct that for most people in the world apple lossless is a
the best choice with the widest support. Of course it doesn't play in
Windows Media Player so I think only apple users would agree with him.
If you own a PC WMA lossless might get your vote.

If I had a complaint I would say he has not mentioned that apple
lossless eats battery life on the ipod. In practive the dreadful sound
quality of an ipod does not justify a lossless format. 256k AAC would
be easily enough.

--
willyhoops