I'm intrigued by the mismatch between measurement and experience here.
I've seen the same thing with other speaker systems too.

The impulse response is a complete measurement of some dimensions of
the sound.  It's constrained to a single point in the room; and it
almost completely excludes nonlinearities (noise, harmonic and
intermodulation distortion) that can be very important.  But in the
linear realm, it's pretty much complete and accurate.

With a linear impulse response there's also an absolute measure of
correctness.  A single Dirac pulse represents the ideal.  Deviation
from the ideal means a less good sound.  Room correction filters move
from the measured toward the ideal by some amount (in some
dimensions).

But we can see measured impulse responses with objectively large
defects, and yet they "sound good" in some way, and correcting for
those defects (in this case by flattening the frequency response and
adjusting the early part of the time/phase response to be closer to
ideal) makes it "sound worse" in some ways.  Weird.

Here's a suggestion for one way to listen to the changes.  Listen
through headphones, to some non-EQd music.  Then select the *measured
impulse response* as room-correction filter, and again listen through
headphones.  Third, select the "test convolution" response (the
measured impulse response, after processing with one of the correction
filters) as a correction filter, and again listen through headphones.
If #3 is an improvement over #2, the room correction is doing something
good.  If #2 is an improvement over #1, get a second opinion :-)

--
inguz