Hypnotoad;206025 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to rip all of my CDs, put them on an external hard drive and get
> a Transporter (which I would operate from my MacBook Pro).
>
> I'm then thinking about using the Transporter to directly feed the
> PrimaLuna Monoblocks (Prologue 6 or 7). Then, from this, drive Gallo
> Reference 3.1. Total cost of the system is around $7500 (with the
> Transporter).
>
> Does this sound like a good set up? I figure I could later upgrade the
> system by buying a good pre-amp, the Gallo amp (which effectively adds
> a sub-woofer to the Gallo's), a good stand, etc. Do you think there
> would be a better way to spend $7500 on music equipment?

Some recommendations for your consideration based on my own experiences
(I have these Gallo speakers, by the way, and their sound is gorgeous.
I used a Velodyne sub and am not sure adding the Gallo amp to boost
their low end will get me much):

Seriously think about getting a NAS for storing your music.  It has a
number of advantages, like operating when my workstation is off,
providing higher availability in the event of a disk problem, letting
me expand my storage very simply, providing other functions like print
server, data backups, file shares, etc.  I use a NAS (Infrant
ReadyNAS+) and built an essentially silent racked box for my media
server.  I can swap out the box (or my workstation) without having to
deal with a terabyte or more of stored media, and put the NAS anywhere
I want.

Second suggestion is to build/buy a headless, silent, dedicated
Linux-based media server to run Slimserver.  This can go in your
equipment rack, in your basement, or anywhere you want.  Having one
uncomplicates having something running on your workstation that can
interact (interfere?) with your other activities (game-playing,
spreadsheeting, etc.).  Slimserver is usually well-behaved, but I tend
to believe in isolating dedicated functions whenever possible (and
affordable).  The other driver to do this is that frankly Slimserver
runs better and more efficiently under Linux than Windows, for whatever
reason.  A Linux-based Slimserver will whomp the Windows version when it
comes to any database-utilizing function, like library scans, and
Windows has so many things going on (compared to Linux) that there
should be many fewer incidents with L than W.

I use the free NX client/server application to control my Slim media
server from any workstation/laptop in the house.  Very easy to use.

My $.02...

--
Balthazar_B