avta;208370 Wrote:
> Thanks Corbey. Very interesting review. What do you like about its
> effects in your system?

First of all, I should probably say that, before I got the VDA-2,  I
very much enjoyed listening to the SB3 through its analog outputs. It
has a somewhat warm and engaging sound that I think equals some much
more expensive CD players from just a few years ago.  However, I listen
to a lot of classical and acoustic music, and, after awhile, I found the
SB3 by itself to be a little lacking in detail and a bit congested.

In looking around for a standalone DAC to add to my system, I decided
to try the VDA-2 for a number of reasons: 1) Size - My rack is already
crowded and even with its companion power supply, the VDA-2 is small
enough to fit almost anyplace. 2) Price and features - The VDA-2 costs
a few hundred dollars less than the DAC-1, and I didn’t really need or
want a headphone amp or a separate volume control. 3) Reputation -
CIAudio products have been consistently well reviewed in the audiophile
press.

Since adding the VDA-2 to my system, I now listen to music through it
almost exclusively. It recovers the details I felt I were  missing with
the SB3 alone and handles the complexities of orchestral music very
well. Its soundstage may not be quite as wide and deep as my SCD-1, but
it’s much better than the SB3 by itself. Is it the ultimate DAC?
Probably not, but it’s very good.

Before I got the VDA-2, I still wasn’t completely sold of the concept
of streaming music, but now I realize that streaming my CDs can sound
every bit as good as playing them on a standalone CD player.

--
corbey

My two-channel system:
- SB-3 through a CIAudio VDA-2 DAC (and using Nokia  N800 as a remote)
- Sony SCD-1 CD/SACD player
- WyeTech Labs Jade tubed preamp
- Chord SPM 1200C power amp
- Basis 2001 turntable w/ Graham Arm & Lyra Helikon cartridge
- Klyne phono stage
- Proac 2.5 speakers