When I was younger, I remember dem'ing a pair of Stax Lambda pro.  At
the time, they were awesome.
A couple of years ago, I looked seriously at ditching my speakers/amp
and going with just a CDP and headphones.  Based on previous
experience, I went straight out to try some Stax.
I lined a comparison up between a pair of 3030s and some Senn 600s on
the backend of a decent headphone amp.
The result was not quite what I expected.  Overall I prefered the
Senns, I think because they gave a more similar presentation to my Linn
speakers.  The Senn combo was better in the bass, but had worse detail
and wasn't as airy.

More interestingly, I then compared with my speakers at home, at which
point I canned the idea of the headphones as the speakers really were
MUCH better to listen to.

Assuming you want a pair of headphones, the implications are that the
Stax will do some things better than virtually everything else
available, but won't be perfect.  Picture them as the Quad ESLs of
headphones.

--
Mr_Sukebe

SB+, Behringer 2496DEQ, Bel Canto DAC2, Bel Canto Evo2i, Impulse Ta'us,
Coherent cables, Stillpoints