ScoobyMusic;209139 Wrote:
> I ended up using an old system and load windows server 2003 (overkill
> but I had a spare liscense). I have 3 partitions
> 1 to boot to
> second for applicatons
> third for all data (flac files)
> I remote desktop into it for maintenance and backup to a seperate
> computer on the network.
> I allow all systems to access it through the web interface.
> It is a very good idea to set your router to ALWAYS give the server the
> same IP address from your dhcp pool. that makes it easier for the
> various slim devices to access it.
> In my case I have a transporter, 4 slim devices and using dyndns I have
> a static IP that I can access from work allowing me to listen to my
> music at work.
>
> From chatting with others, if I didnt use win server I would go with
> ubunto. very solid solution
>
> Library now has over 15,000 files in it. Even running 5 devices at once
> the system works flawlessly.
> I love this product
You can accomplish the same thing with Windows XP Pro since it has a
native remote desktop server.  Or even XP Home with some flavor of
VNC.

I would expect that there's little functional difference with
SlimServer on the different versions of Windows (VISTA, though, is a
different bird altogether).  Most of the problems encountered on
Windows are issues within SlimServer.

--
JJZolx

Jim