Patrick Dixon;210578 Wrote:
> If you really want to do dbt with audio components you need to design a
> test that is relevant to the way that people normally listen to music.
> IMV, this should take the form of listening to music over, at the very
> least, a few days or weeks, and using some kind of objective response
> to the music as a gauge - like how much time is spent listening, or how
> many times you tap you feet, or what your brain wave patterns are, ...
> or something.
I agree that some differences may be subtle enough that it takes
extended listening before they become evident. In such cases, a
traditional DBT will fail to detect a difference where one does exist.
But the main point that we DBT proponents (for I count myself among
them) are trying to make when we get into a spat with the anti-DBT
crowd is nothing to do with that.

The plain fact of the matter is that there are some people who proclaim
that switching from product X to product Y produces an immediate and
obvious improvement. Such statements are often accompanied by phrases
like "if you can't hear it you must be deaf". And yet these very same
people turn out not to be able to distinguish X from Y when they don't
know which they are listening to. If the difference is *so* obvious,
and the "golden ears" are so confident they are right, I refuse to
believe that the stress of taking part in a DBT could possibly
overwhelm their previously infallible ability to distinguish the
components.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A