cliveb;207593 Wrote:
> It strikes me that the existing hardware is already fine for the mass
> market. The barrier to the Squeezebox becoming a mainstream product is
> the backend - the slightly geeky nature of Slimserver
SlimServer was as good as gone the day Logitech bought the company.

> and the somewhat involved process of ripping CDs and tagging files. I
> predict that Logitech will focus on these issues rather than mess with
> the Squeezebox itself.
Hmmm...  Unless the new "Squeezebox" is a complete and total mess of a
system including a CD-ROM drive, I don't see this end of things being
improved upon.  The best Logitech might do is to develop a
jack-of-all-trades ("and master of none"?) music manager to be run on
your PC.  I dunno, that strikes me as a very big software project and a
lot to give away just to sell $128.88 music boxes.

A more plausible scenario is that they'd jump on the bandwagon with
everyone else on the planet and open a digital music store.  They might
even distinguish themselves for a short while if they offered lossless
Flac downloads of music that aren't available elsewhere.

--
JJZolx

Jim