Mark Lanctot;211718 Wrote:
> Besides, it would be better to get them to stop doing this stupid stuff
> in the first place.  If they won't stop that, why would they ever put
> RG correction data on the CD?

"They" would add RG values indicating that amplification was needed --
and still compress the dynamic range, because music with RG
amplification *and* compressed dynamics would sound louder (and, in
noisy environments, *better*) than music that only had RG
amplification. If CD players started reading & using RG data on audio
CDs, the problem would only get worse.

It would be much better for audio standards to include compression
recommendations. Record full-range tracks on the CD and use metadata to
indicate the recommended amount of dynamic range compression. And add
compression controls to music players that could be applied to music
that lacked compression metadata so they can make full-range music
sound better in worse listening environments. It's a shame that Sony &
Philips didn't build this into the audio CD standard from the get-go --
I don't know if they failed to foresee the problem, or if this seemed
unthinkably demanding on the 1980s era playback gear.

-Peter

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
BlankSaver BottleRocket FuzzyTime SaverSwitcher SleepFade StatusFirst
VolumeLock