truckfighters;213892 Wrote:
> power line correct phase:
>
> Orientation of mains plug:
> The correct polarization of mains is important for reasons of audio
> clarity and stability.
>
> for the folks who never heard of that, I found this nice article:
> http://www.audaud.com/audaud/JUL01/EQUIP/equip3JUL01.html

NO!!
The article suggests disconnecting the protective earth connection from
your equipment to make measurements or to improve sound quality. DO NOT
ATTEMPT TO DO THIS FOR ANY REASON. IF YOUR EQUIPMENT HAS AN EARTH
CONNECTION IT'S BECAUSE IT'S REQUIRED FOR SAFE OPERATION. TOUCH THE
UNEARTHED BOX, AND THE FIRST YOU'LL KNOW OF A FAULT SOMEWHERE IN YOUR
SYSTEM COULD BE A FATAL ELECTRIC SHOCK.

(After all, you wouldn't go round replacing all your fuses with nails
to 'improve the power supply', would you? You would? Darwinian
evolution in action. Go right ahead).

But, suppose for a moment that you were actually dumb enough to make
the measurement anyway, or that your equipment is designed such that
the earth connection isn't needed. What are you actually measuring?

With the case disconnected, either by double-insulation from the mains
or because some idiot has removed the earth connection, it's
essentially floating. Maybe it's connected to the analogue ground which
is shared with the rest of your system, but not necessarily. It may also
pick up a voltage by capacitive and/or electromagnetic coupling from the
power supply, but in this case the impedance will be extremely high, and
only a rather expensive meter will pick it up.

So, what you're measuring is the potential between this undefined
point, and earth at some other point. Meaningless - but audiophiles
like to find something they can measure and then come up with a rule
for what it should be.

It's not impossible for reversing the live & neutral to make a
difference to the sound, though. In the UK at least (and presumably
elsewhere), the neutral wire is kept around earth potential while the
live oscillates either side of it. So, if inside your equipment there's
a live wire nearer some sensitive audio signal than the neutral, there
will be a greater degree of interference introduced. Swapping live &
neutral effectively moves the noise source further away, which can
indeed help.

You can't tell whether this is the case by making meaningless
measurements of the voltage on the outside of the box, though. And the
idea of trying to 'match' these voltages across components is just...
well, rubbish too.

So, if you have reversible mains plugs, by all means swap them around
and pick whichever way you like the sound of. Just don't electrocute
yourself by doing something silly, OK? ;-)

--
AndyC_772