Ah - there's an international variation there. Here in the UK, as I'm
sure you know, we have 3 pin plugs that have a fuse built into them on
the live (hot) side, so it's quite hard to electrocute yourself.

The only occasion on which it's normally possible to swap live &
neutral is on equipment that has a non-earthed 'figure 8' plug, as a
lot of hi-fi kit does, and in those cases it's quite safe to plug it in
either way round as the kit has to be double insulated anyway. That's
the case I was thinking of, sorry for any confusion.

--
AndyC_772