vdorta;214539 Wrote:
> Wouldn't this suggest the calibration is wrong?

No, I think it was 'operator error' on my part -- I don't think that I
generated my first set of filters correctly.   I have since regenerated
everything, and am not hearing the clipping I noticed the first time
with the normal filter.  The sounds is a little brighter, but that may
simply be that I was so accustomed to the old ones.  I should do some
more side-by-side listening to the calibrated and uncalibrated
filters.

Turns out that when I plot the 'normal' and 'soft' filters there is
almost no difference between the two in terms of freq response
correction.  My understanding is that the difference between 'soft' and
'normal' has more to do with the degree of phase correction.  I also
just read that the 'No Correction' filter just does freq filtering,
with no phase correction, so I will try listening to that, too.

I guess it's also possible that you might have a better instance of an
ECM 8000 than mine.  As I said before, I would be interested to try the
same exercise with a calibrated Earthworks mic.

BTW, are you using the 'normal.drc' from the Inguz site or the one
included with DRC?

Muski

P.S. Just curious -- you say 'what I would expect'.  Is that based on
published measurements of your equipment or something else?

--
muski

SB3->Bryston BP25DA->Bryston 4B-SST->Watt Puppy 7s
Transporter->Headrom Max Balanced Amp->Balanced AKG701s & HD650s