If you look at this page for Korg's MR-1000 DSD recorder, at the bottom
they talk about the DSF file format which supports DSD.  And,
interestingly enough, they state that some Sony VAIO computers support
the DSF format.  With a recorder such as the MR-1000 (and it's not the
only one), it seems like only a matter of time until SACD's
stranglehold on DSD comes to an end.  I don't see that it is completely
unthinkable that DSF couldn't become a reasonable format for
distributing high quality audio.  That said, I also agree that existing
PCM standards, such as 24/96 are probably plenty good for high quality
audio distribution.

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=MR1000

--
Timothy Stockman