DCtoDaylight;216936 Wrote:
> The attraction of 96K Sampling (not up sampling) over 44.1K sampling, is
> that it moves the brick wall filter from 22.05 kHz to 48 kHz.  This can
> have audible benefits, because the 22kHz filter usually has measurable
> affects in the audible pass band.  Move the filter to 48k and the
> effects are outside of the audible portion of the pass band.
>
> Oversampling on playback allows similar movement of the re-construction
> filter, and has been used by all playback systems for 20 years now
> (recall 4x or 8x oversampling, or 176K or 352K to keep the same scale).
> Usually, its used to allow a low order re-construction filter (ie, the
> reconstruction filter does NOT have to be a brick wall design, 3-4th
> order is usually enough).
>
> Upsampling is a term used by some to describe what they feel is a
> better oversampling algorithm, but the cold fact of the matter is that
> there's really no difference to the two.  They are both changing the
> data rate, but neither is really capable of recreating what has been
> lost by the original anti-aliasing filter.  Even if you knew exactly
> how to compensate for the audible affects of the anti-aliasing filter
> in one studio's A/D, it wouldn't necessarily work for another.
>
> Hope this doesn't just confuse things more!
> Cheers,  Dave

Thanks for the response Dave.  I guess I need one more point of
clarification: you mention there is no difference between upsampling
and oversampling, but I though there is one key difference in that
upsampling is done completely in the digital domain upstream from the
DAC (as is the case with my Behringer SRC2496).

--
Videodrome

Two-channel System:
SB3, into Musiland MD-10 DAC;
Outlaw 970 Pre/Pro;
McCormack DNA-125 amplifier;
Quad 11L speakers;
Sota Sapphire ttbl. w/ Grado Ref. Platinum Cart. into Rolls Bellari
VP-129 tube phono stage;
Marantz 10b;
Nakamichi RX505;
Cables Used: DH Labs, Van den Hul, Distech, Monster, many more.