Due to a pretty cool windfall, I can get a nice DAC to connect to my
SB3. The only catch is that it has to come from a "Pro Audio" store
rather than a Hi-FI store - due to insurance reasons.

So, I have enough money to get a Lavry or Benchmark or whatever.

I have read good things here and elsewhere about both of them. Have any
of you done some serious A/B on a system where the DAC was the only
variable ? Basically, I am looking for a recommendation as I have no
opportunity to try either in a meaninful way, but I do get to pick one
as if I found a magic lamp. Also, I am open to other DACs as well, just
has to be from a Music gear store, not a Hi-Fi store.

Secondly, I am considering monitors from a pro audio gear store as home
speakers. I liked a small pair of Dynaudio speakers, the BMA5's. I can
get them too. Are any of you familiar with those or other $1000 -
$1500(US) monitors that would make a nice home stereo speaker. I have
an audible illusions tube preamp to go in front of them if the speakers
are powered. I have a Counterpoint SA 100 amp if the speakers are not
active. For it to be worthwhile, the monitors/amp combo (whether
powered or not) should be a decent step up from my old Paradigm Export
Monitor 8 inch two-way speakers being driven by the Counterpoint.

Sorry for the long post. I could really use any two cents that you
would care to contribute about DAC's and active and passive monitors
for home audio. Also, these powered monitors have XLR inputs, my preamp
does not have that output. Have you seen a decent cable or adapter that
would allow me to run my pre-amp into the powered monitors ?

Thanks a lot!

B.

--
brjoon1021