Skunk;218368 Wrote:
> That doesn't really tell us much, because two different sources can both
> pass DTS (e.g. Sb3 and Transporter), yet still sound different.
>
> But it brings up another point I didn't see mentioned by Mr. Pig,
> whether the volume is set to max (digital outputs fixed), and whether
> replay gain is being used/not. Those oversights WILL keep DTS from
> being passed, as well as affecting the SNR*. It should make more of a
> difference than the stream format used, and has been shown on a scope,
> whereas tests of stream format didn't produce major differences in
> measured jitter**.
>
> In practice I don't notice the effects of the volume control and use
> them for convenience, but if you're comparing it to a cd player you
> should at least do the things proven to increase performance.
>
> *
> http://mysite.verizon.net/forumwebspace/RightMark/Test%20Reports/Volume.htm
> **
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15882&highlight=jitter+measurements

Hi,

Volume is set at MAX. I ddi nt change replay gain, so whatever the
default setting is where it currently is at. Should I be looking at
this setting? At this point the SB comes close to the perfomrance of
the transport. There is some loss of ambient detail, and just a bit of
energy in the treble as a whole. This is alot closer and hopefully I
can get it dialed in a 100%.

Regards
Mister Pig

--