Thanks for all the replies.  I would strongly suspect that to an
audiophile's ear there would definitely be noticeable difference, but
am just trying to come to terms with whether there would be any
difference to MY ears.  I know there are cd players out there for $2000
and higher, so $600 is considered sorta entry level, but even that
amount seems like a lot to waste on an old technology.  It definitely
seems like hard-drive based music is where we're going.  That said, the
SB3, from all I've read, is definitely NOT audiophile grade out of the
box.  Maybe I'll buy both and audition them against each other assuming
they are returnable.  Thanks again for the helpful replies.

--
Pinball Wizard