norderney;231268 Wrote:
> Just been reading a review of the Linn Klimax DS -
> http://www.linn.co.uk/klimax_ds - in the October issue of Hi-Fi World -
> http://www.linn.co.uk/files/eaccc978/Linn%20Klimax.pdf.

The one positive thing Linn has achieved is to make the
ultra-conservative audiophile press to start taking the concept
seriously.

Apart from that, I find little to cheer. To start off, we encounter a
massive error in the very first sentence of the review:
> Linn's new network-enabled music player is quite unlike any other such
> device on the market
<sigh>, but I suppose that comment is to be expected.

I note that the device itself has no display, which means that you need
the Linn remote to control it. (It's unfortunate that this review
doesn't give us any description of how this device operates). In this
respect it's operationally akin to the Sonos (or the Jive, when Slim
Devices actually get that interface working).

>From an audio performance perspective, of course, it's more akin to the
Transporter. Yes, the Klimax supports 192kHz compared to the
Transporter's 96kHz. So what? But it appears to lack a couple of things
that we take for granted on the Transporter: wireless connectivity
(surely this would have been mentioned in the review if it was
present), and digital inputs so you can use it with other sources.

I would also be extremely surprised if it has a digital volume control.
Assuming it lacks this feature, it means that use of an analogue preamp
is pretty much compulsory (and many forum members will already know my
views about the desirability of eliminating the preamp from a system).

The price is what you'd expect from Linn. Just because it costs a
king's ransom is no guarantee that it will sound fabulous. (Consider
Linn's ludicrously overpriced loudspeakers, for example).

And finally, the review's conclusion repeats the opening howler:
> Essentially, the first truely high-end, high resolution network music
> player
Essentially, this review is a kick in the teeth to Slim Devices (and
Sonos, for that matter). Neither of these pioneering companies get a
mention. Shame on you, Hawksford.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A