TiredLegs;234133 Wrote:
> Have you tried comparing WAV files from the SB3 to the output of the CD
> player? If not, you haven't done an apples to apples comparison.
>
> I am well aware that the SB3 digital output from FLAC files SHOULD be
> bit-for-bit identical to a WAV file, but unless someone has tested and
> confirmed this, a WAV file is the only valid comparison of an SB3 vs. a
> CD player. Even if the bits are the same, perhaps the FLAC-sourced
> digital output has extra jitter that this particular DAC can't handle.
> (It's not exactly a high end DAC.)

I'll compare the flac, wav and cd as soon as I can and report back.

BTW.  Which DAC are you refering to?  I don't use the internal DAC on
the SB3.  I use a CIAudio VDA-2 w/VAC-1 PSU.  Not the highest end DAC
but many have compared it to other capable DACs (Benchmark, Lavry
etc...) and prefered it or at least thought it was in the same league.
I would hardly think it is a bottlekneck in my system.

--
SatoriGFX