Timothy, thanks. Not at all confusing. Although I am not sure if you are
right to view 16bit integer values as a fraction of 1. Since the biggest
number you can write in 16bit is 32767 the end is open to the sky
theoretically. You just don't use the numbers above... On the other
hand if you have 1 devided by something you have a situation where you
assume a definite limit which can not be assumed for loudness. But this
does not at all touch the matter we are concerned with here. It is more
or less mathematical I think.
Btw.: You've got the same 32768 values for the negative portion of a
theoretical sine wave as well.
I always wondered why Philips and others didn't use 16bit floats for cd
format. That would have solved the problem all together since one could
have used the digits unused in low levels for increased precision by
using the whole rational realm of numbers.
This would have contributed to smoother wave forms and less overall
distortion. But perhaps computers wheren't too good in calculating with
floats the early days of cd specification.
Greetings
Jeronimo

--
jaysung