If I were you, I would look at an external DAC. If SB output sounds less
detailed, less brilliant... less like what you expect it to be and if
your CD player seems much better.

Be sure you play FLAC or other lossless format, make sure you compare
CD and SB with the same interconnect cable and the good input in your
receiver. If all these parameters are correct... you should think about
buying a dac.

That's my personal experience... SB analog output is good but it's
nothing to compare to an expensive audiophile DAC or a very good CD
player (both costing 4 or more times the price of the SB). Changing the
power supply and using ethernet instead of wifi can also help getting
more of your SB without costing too much...

--
vrobin