sosleepy;245532 Wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I'll give the preamp suggestion a
> try when I get some free time in the next couple of days.  My CD source
> isn't anything to write home about- a Marantz DV7600 DVD/CD/SACD player.
> It has more "oomph" than the squeezebox, but I know it isn't top of the
> line either.  I use the squeezebox way more than the CD player, and
> generally use FLAC as my chosen source, though I don't discriminate
> against MP3.How would you describe the 'oomph', in terms of tonality? More
pronounced bottom end maybe? I'd suggest that the difference you are
hearing is almost certainly DAC related.

I don't have any issues with the one built into the SB3, but choose to
use a Shek D1 NOS unit, as I prefer a warmer, more laid-back sound.
However, if I run it through my Beresford TC-7510 Mk6 DAC the combo
sounds almost indistinguishable to my Naim CDX2 (sounds hard to believe
but its true), which has been gathering dust since my SB3 arrived.

I wouldn't view the SB3 as necessarily being the weak link in the
chain, despite its budget status. I'd say you just need to find a DAC
that offers the kind of presentation you like.

--
david68