darrenyeats;251617 Wrote:
> I have one foot firmly in the blind testing camp and one in the
> open-minded camp.
>
> I think sources can sound different. However, I believe the better
> sources sound rather similar and to make unbiased judgements on the
> subtle differences between them (are they just "different" to me, or do
> I "prefer" one to another and if so which one, or was I just imagining
> the difference) requires blind listening. This is because the real
> differences are so subtle they can be trodden on easily by suggestion
> or expectation.
> Darren

And you have comapared legions of top level digital sources in the same
system ?

With all do respekt dont think you know it all just becaue you find
your sb3 sounding great, or base your knowledge on what some skepticks
rave about in here.

I have had varous fine  digital sources and the differences are not
subbel , not even in dbt  that seems to comfuse many peoples mind.

What i have found to be the best way to evaluate a surthen component or
a complete system is to use well knowen cds then  skip to you find where
the spicial moment in the music comes  , and its exactly herer i find
BIG differences between sources.
An those big differences are basicly make or beake.
Some pieces of music will sound very close to idendical  .

I have for a long time found the transporters analog outs  not
satisfing , some special music diddent sound right or  just a littel
borring.

So me and a frind did a tes with his unidisk sc through a linn klimax
kontrol preamp.
An example  Didos melankolic track  stoned from the album life for rent
in a blind test  with   level match , between the Linn unidisk sc and
Transporter , it starts out sounding almost idendical i have to really
listen hard to here a  variation,  but then the chorus comes , wich is
a very dynamic and moving piece that  have a amazing synth in the back
ground ,    on the  transporter this sound very  borring  lacking
imaged deepth impact it was  actually  very disapointing  and have
botheredme ever since i got te transporter , because the music really
builds up to this peak but then nothing really happens.
Schifting over to the unidisk is like listning to a completly nother
piece of music  the unidisk sound VERY dynamic emotive and spreads out
a very deep soundstage where the beautiful synth is very clear and
satisfing.

Now if i diddnt had used the chorus as reference point i would be
saying the both sound pretty much the same.

I ges if you are the usaly hifi type that basicly only uses music to
test the gear you will not know what im talking about but if you
listens to music because it makes you feel a surthen way i strongly
recorment using my method.

Or use the linn tune dem method , dont just put some music on and flip
the swich a couple of times .

--
harmonic