If I understand the original post correctly, Firedog intends to use a
separate DAC to do the actual analog to digital conversion. In this
architecture, the Slim player will pass the digital bit stream to the
DAC which will jitter buffer it, retime it, and do the actual digital
to analog conversion. In this architecture, Slimserver will transcode
the material to lossless and the Slim player will recover the bitstream
and transmit it to the DAC.

Assuming you start with a lossless source (FLAC, Apple Lossless, or a
disc), the transformation from bitstream to analog signal in the final
DAC will have a large effect. If I were using this architecture,
understanding the role of the Slim player, I would use a Squeezebox for
this application. Since you would not be using the Squeezebox or
Transporter audio outputs, both players should sound identical in
Firedog's proposed architecture. Both have optical digital outputs
which would probably be the way to go.

FLAC and Apple Lossless have been validated, so starting with FLAC,
Apple Lossless, or WAV material, the Slim player will deliver the
original bits to the DAC. You should hear sound very similar
(identical) to what you hear playing the original lossless digital
recording in this system.

Do beware of placebo effect when making evaluations. If you do careful
double blind testing, you should not be able to tell which source (CD
transport or Squeezebox) is in use. Audio reviewers (hard disks sound
better than CD's) fall for placebo effect every time.

In summary, start with a Squeezebox and trade up to Transporter if you
plan to use its audio outputs. Both are damned good. You can always use
the Squeezebox in a second system or with a Tivoli table radio.

--
dlhamby